I've very proud of this batch because I took a lot of care crafting it, but I also paid a lot of attention to some specifics. For example, I actually took the time to calculate my mashing (partial) efficiency which turned out to be about 75%. I hope the extra care pays off.
Here's the details copied from the Recipator summary. I didn't include in the summary the spices I included. For the last 15 minutes of the boil I added 3 cinnamon sticks, 0.5 tsp nutmeg, 0.25 tsp ground cloves. During the last minute of boil I added one split vanilla bean. It smelled great.
|Type:||Partial mash||Size:||5 gallons|
|Alcohol:||6.9% v/v (5.4% w/w)|
|Grain:||1 lb. 11 oz. American 2-row |
1 lb. Wheat malt
.5 lb. American crystal 120L
11 oz. British crystal 50-60L
4 oz. British chocolate
|Boil:||minutes||SG 1.112||3 gallons|
|5 lb. Light dry malt extract|
|Hops:||1 oz. Cluster (5.7% AA, 60 min.) |
.5 oz. Kent Goldings (6.9% AA, 60 min.)
.25 oz. Chinook (12.2% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Cascade (6.9% AA, 15 min.)
The yeast I used was Wyeast 1056, American Ale. I brewed with this yeast about a month ago. I saved a bit from the starter and placed it in a sanitized beer bottle and capped it. I stored it in my fridge for almost a month. I made another yeast starter and rejuvenated the yeast. Hopefully it is still healthy enough to make good beer. We will see.