Thursday, April 9, 2009

Beer for dummies...like me!!!

Crap!!!! It's been a week since I posted. Where does the time go?

I have potentially exciting news to announce!!! Well, it's actually exciting just for me. I would expect you, the humble blog reader (or stalker), to consider this to be no big deal. But, for me, it might be.

I have mentioned before that I live about 100 miles away from my homebrew supply store. I love my homebrew supply store. The staff is awesome and they have everything I need in a homebrew supply store. However, recently in my hometown, not more than 2 miles from my house a homebrew and wine making store has opened up. Currently, their offerings are quite modest, but there is hope. They will stock more as demand dictates, and they have promised to order anything we need and charge that same as my current homebrew supply store. This has potential.

The guys who started the store are big wine guys. That's what they know. Currently, they stock really simple beer kits for really simple and often crappy beer. BUT, as I said before, it's a start.

One item I saw that caught my attention was a 2 L bottle called "The Big and Easy Bottle Brew." It is a fully contained brew and drink system. It is a two liter bottle full of wort. A tablet of yeast is added and a special cap with a tiny hole is used to relieve the pressure. After two weeks, you have beer.

I decided to give it a try. I'm only 1 week in, but things seem to be going well. Here are some pics:

Here's the bottle in all of its glory:
Here's a close up:
Here's a picture of its nipple...I mean release valve:
Bonus question. In the background you will see a growler which I use to make yeast starters. Can anyone identify the brewery whence it comes?

When I consume the contents, I will report my impressions.

8 comments:

Alex said...

Hmmm, pre-hopped wort packaged in clear bottles? That doesn't sound promising.
Your a brave man, I wouldn't drink that.

Chemgeek said...

The guy at the store swore it would be better than I expected.

I swore that at the end of the day, this guy would have my $8.

So far, one of us is right.

MJenks said...

I'm going to guess Granite City.

Chemgeek said...

nope.

The blurry animal should be recognizable by people familiar with the brewery.

Thanks for playing.

the other anonymous said...

Big Sky Brewing?

BTW, I finally found Powder Hound in bottles here...woo-hoo!

Chemgeek said...

We have a winner!!!

Big Sky Brewing. The blurry animal, I believe, is the Slow Elk.

I have often enjoyed their beer.

Good work Other Anonymous.

Marty Nachel said...

Thank you for advertising my book, "Beer for Dummies". Because your blog is about homebrewing, however, it might be more appropriate to advertise my other book, "Homebrewing for Dummies"
Cheers!
-Marty Nachel

Unknown said...

Good post! Thanks for sharing this great information about home brewing store. I appreciate it.