Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Naming my beer

I realized tonight as I was updating my brewing status that I need to name my beers. Not the ones I clone, but the ones I have developed on my own. Of course, I am still in the R&D phase with most, but my cream stout is beyond development. I love it. The dark, roasted flavor that coats the back of your throat, and the hint of sweetness from the unfermented lactose that plays so nicely with the roasted barley leaving a bit of caramel sensation. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yum!!!

The problem is, it doesn't have a name.

The other beers in my recipe box are a pale ale that compares to Mirror Pond Pale Ale (it has lots of cascade hoppy goodness to it), And a brown ale that is in the vein of Newcastle. Neither of these beers has a name. I plan on perfecting the recipe before thinking of a name.

So, back to the cream stout.

Cream stouts are often made using lactose. The top fermenting ale yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, does not ferment lactose. This results in the creamy and subtle sweetness of the cream stout. There are some yeasts that ferment lactose, of course. There are some that are blamed for foamy cream, but I don't know of any that are used to make beer. There are some that make alcohol, but I'm not sure if the EtOH is meant for consumption.

Regardless, my cream stout still doesn't have a name. I found out today in MN, by law you must name your child within 60 days. I'm not sure what the penalty is if you don't. My cream stout has been without a name for almost 6 years now.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

I do love a good cream stout. Have you published your cream stout recipe anywhere that I could try brewing up a batch?

Chemgeek said...

No, I haven't, but I should. I'll try to post it in a few days.

Anonymous said...

how about ODPA Stout (one delicious primary alcohol)?