I had a busy beer weekend that was long overdue. I bottled my ESB and transfered the three other batches to secondaries.
That took a lot of busy work.
By bottling my ESB I had an empty carboy (remember my beer lineup). I borrowed a friends 5-gallon carboy which I used to hold my sanitizing solution so I could use it for all three carboys.
The process went something like this: I emptied the ESB carboy, cleaned it and added the sanitizing solution. After a bit of a soak, I transfered the sanitation solution to the borrowed carboy and racked the next beer to the freshly sanitized carboy. I repeated this process two more times.
I used Star-San as my sanitizing solution. According to the MSDS, Star-San is 50% phosphoric acid (H3PO4), 15% dodecylbenzene sulfonic acid (see below) and 10% isopropyl alcohol (the remainder is a secret, though the majority is probably water).
I presume the phosphoric acid and IPA kill anything living in my carboy and the dodecylbenzene sulfonic acid acts as a detergent.