Friday, August 21, 2009

and here we go....

The new school year is nearly upon us. As usual, Summer seems to have been too short and too unproductive. But, I'm ready to go.

During June and much of July, I have little desire to teach. However, when August gets here, I am usually rested enough to consider starting a new school year. When I start working in earnest during the last week of Summer (as I have been for the last few days) I become much more energized and much more excited for the new year to start. Mentally, I'm ready to go. I've got a few things to do before I'm actually ready for class, but my mind is feeling good.

Last year, I wrote a post about the start of the school year. Man, last year I was stressed. The Summer had been very busy with things related to an accreditation visit. This year, I am obviously a lot more relaxed. The only thing pressing on me is my teaching load.

In the world of small, liberal arts colleges during economically challenging times, people are asked to do a lot more. Here's my teaching load this semester:
  • General Chemistry (5 credits)
  • Organic Chemistry and labs (4 credits)
  • Advanced Organic Chemistry (3 credits)
  • Intermediate Algebra (3 credits)
  • General Biochemistry independent study (4 credits)
  • Research mentoring (2 students)
That is a ridiculous load, but it prevents the need to hire an adjunct or to cut classes. I can handle it. It's no worse than being in grad school. But, by November I may feel like this:

8 comments:

MJenks said...

Yeeg. Have you always been teaching gen chem, or is this a new development?

Chemgeek said...

Ever since the other guy sucked it up bad enough to get relieved of that duty.

However, I actually love teaching gen chem so it isn't too bad.

Ψ*Ψ said...

...wow. that's a lot of classes!
you win! i will make a point of not complaining about TA duties preventing me from hiding in the lab.

MJenks said...

When I was helping out with the gen chem in undergrad, I kind of liked it, too. Not so much at ND, but then again, I'm thinking that St. Joe might be more like the place you're teaching rather than everyone's favorite Catholic whipping post.

marcus said...

Does your mind wonder during the algebra section?

Lisa-tastrophies said...

Ok, my class load doesn't look as threatening now. Of course I still have no idea which topics I am teaching come Monday, but I can be flexible.

Here's to hoping the 09-10 school year is one with fun, learning, and growing into better instructors. :-)

Let the classes begin!!

the other anonymous said...

Egad! I will stop complaining about my three preps (gen, org & org lab).

However, I will not stop complaining about the NIH-R15 deadline that is looming...must regain momentum.

Lisa-tastrophies said...

The first day of school is always the best. High expectations, new school books (I love the smell), meeting the teacher/professor. It lasts for about a week and then I realize I have no idea how I am going to get all the work done in a 24 hours day.

Happy Back To School. 79 more student days until Christmas :-)