Saturday, October 17, 2009

Brew #100 is in the works

I finally found some time to sit down and plan my brew 100. It will be an imperial stout aged over oak. I'm shooting for 10% ABV. I am going to model my beer after the John Courage Imperial Stout recipe found in Clone Brews.

Here is my planned recipe:
Partial Mash
2.5 lbs Marris Otter malt.
12 oz British crystal malt
10 oz British chocolate malt
3 oz roasted barley
3 oz black malt

Boil
3.3 lb dark liquid malt extract
1 lb cane sugar
5 lbs dry malt extract
1/3 lb molasses

Hops (61 IBU):
1 oz Target (12%) 60 mins
1 oz Northern Brewer (10%) 60 min
1 oz Willamette 15 mins
1 oz Fuggles 1 min

Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale from a big starter with yeast nutrients.

During secondary fermentation, some steamed oak chips will be added. I'm not sure how much I will add.

3 comments:

Monsieur C and Madam K said...

Steamed oak chips? What is that?

Chemgeek said...

Just oak chips that have been steamed for sanitation purposes.

Ryan said...

I have recently discovered the magic of using oak chips in beer. I recently did a milk stout and racked it onto 15g of French oak chips, leaving it for two weeks. The depth the French oak chips added to the flavour was amazing!