Thursday, May 1, 2008

Stupid tree pollen and brewing Pale Ale

I hate tree pollen. I have very few allergies, but tree pollen gets me every year. Right now, the tree pollen levels are pretty high. Yesterday, they were very high. I really can't complain. A few days of a runny nose and sore throat are pretty mild compared to some people (including those I am related to).

My cure is to brew....

I'm brewing my Metathesis Pale Ale right now. I have 5 minutes of boil left. It is a very simple beer, but my favorite

Partial mash:
2 lb Rahr 2-row
1 lb crystal malt (usually 20°, tonight I only had 50°. It will be darker, but I had no choice)
0.5 lb wheat malt

Boil:
3lb DME
6 AAU Chinook hops (60 min)
6 AAU Cascade hops (15 min)

Wyeast 1056

Dry hop 10 AAU Cascade hops in secondary

oops... boil's done. gotta go

5 comments:

Chemgeek said...

Geez Matt!!! I am slow. I just realized your use of 'indefatigable' in your name in several recent comments.

Very nice, very nice indeed. And, I am slow. very slow indeed.

Dr. Kev said...

At least you're not alergic to beer like some of those you're related to...(of course that has never stopped me). "Barkeep, a pint and a tissue - make it a double - tissue that is."

Ψ*Ψ said...

Ugh, allergies suck. :( feel better, alright?

Chemgeek said...

I feel better today. The tree pollen is much lower today. Of course, this coincides with a chance of snow tonight.

Come on Mother Nature, It's May!!!!! No more snow!!!!!

MJenks said...

I saw that...what was it...last weekend, you guys got like fifteen inches of snow? Very nice.

Yeah, I changed it a couple of days ago. Consider it my personal homage to Homebrew and Chemistry.