Thursday, August 14, 2008

Distractions, disappointment and delirium

There have been a lot of crazy things going on in my life lately. Here's a list.

Distractions

The school year is about to start and I have a lot of things to do before the season starts. The last thing I need are distractions, but I've been overwhelmed with distractions that I cannot ignore. The big one is the Olympics. I've been glued to the tube watching the every-four-year spectacle. I can't turn it off. Obviously the coverage here in the United States has covered mostly the USA, but I've found myself watching boxing matches between Zimbabwe and The Dominican Republic.

In addition, a new academic building is being built near my building on our campus. They've been at it for almost a month. I find myself watching them dig for 20-30 minutes at a time. There is something about a big huge excavator digging tons of dirt out of the ground that I can't turn away from. I can't get any work done in my office because I just can't help but watch the construction site.

Disappointment

After much dreaming I finally got a spare refrigerator with which I was going to make some lager beers (or more accurately: I was going to lager some beer). I was so excited. Really, really excited. I moved it from my parents house. Long story short, it doesn't work. It is old and probably didn't survive the move. I'm very sad about this.

Delirium
Shortly after the spare refrigerator sadness, some really amazing things fell into place. They have to do with kegging my beer. First, I got a hold of two Cornelius Kegs (see the picture). These are regularly used by homebrewers to keg beer. A friend of mine independently offered some tubes and connections need to dispense the beer. Then, another friend decided to get rid of his kegerator!!!! He is going to give it to me complete with CO2 container. All of that would create a complete system needed to keg my beer. I am delirious.

I am also in the early stages of building a bar in my basement. These things will fit very nicely.

If I can avoid all of these distractions, I should a full bar in my basement that dispenses homebrewed beer.

Now, does anyone want a broken fridge?




Update: The kegerator is in my garage. OMG, I'm GIDDY!!!!

6 comments:

milkshake said...

If you are setting up your private pub in the basement, you should put up big signs on the wall behind the tap "Spitting Not Allowed" "No Shirt No Service No Exceptions" and "Hippies Use Back Door"

Ψ*Ψ said...

And my favorite: "No Wankers."

Chemgeek said...

I was actually thinking of allowing spitting. Of course, I will supply the spittoon.

On occasion, I will allow some to go topless.

The "No wanker" rule goes without saying.

milkshake said...

yeah, wankers are a real problem. They are hard to please.

Anonymous said...

Good luck! The thought of having homebrewed beer on tap in my basement makes my mouth water.

Lisa-tastrophies said...

Chemgeek:
It must be something in the teacher lounge water cooler. I am also distracted from getting prepared for the year. I blog, I wash my hair, I try to figure out why I am teaching language arts and math instead of Science since I have a BS in Epidemiology and wouldn't Science be the logical choice... I love Assistant Principals and their ability to change assignments at the last minute.