Monday, November 16, 2009

Lager picture

Here is a picture of a glass full of lager I made a few months ago. It never actually lagered as long as it should have. I was too impatient.


Since the winter months are upon us here in Minnesota and my lagering fridge is in my unheated garage, I was looking at the possibility of shutting the lagering portion of my brewery down for a while. No way!!! I went to Walmart and spent $10 on a really crappy heater. I connected it to my temp controller, switched it to the heating setting and I continue to lager by using a heater in my fridge to get the 52°F temp needed.

Right now I am fermenting a clone of Grain Belt Premium and a doppelbock.


7 comments:

Ψ*Ψ said...

Wait, what? It's colder than 52 degrees there?
...Oh, sorry, California weather has me all confused :D

Chemgeek said...

Ha ha. rub it in. Yes, can expect a high of 51°F today. That's rather nice by MN standards.

Unknown said...

Grain Belt Premium...

That makes me nostalgic for college.

milkshake said...

there is an old joke about Greenland folks buying crappy Czech-made fridges and installing them in their bedrooms as artificial fireplaces because those cheapo fridges are guaranteed to never go below 45F

Katie Collette said...

Mmmmm, Premo...

Be careful with that heater! Aren't they the #1 fire hazard in a home after smoking in bed? Hah.

marcus said...

Nice, I have learned to be patient and actually like brewing lagers.

Cheers!

Dr Zibbs said...

ooh that looks good. We just had our neighborhood beer exchange on Sunday.

Good times.