Before I went off and had a few centimeters of my manliness removed, I got some work done on my bar. I made it all real nice and shiny. In addition to the obvious use of polyurethane, I coated the surface of the bar with a substance known as Envirotex.
Envirotex is a resin that can be poured onto a surface resulting in a shiny and resilient surface. There are two solutions, the resin and the hardener. These are mixed in a 50:50 ratio and stirred like mad.
The chemistry is bit complicated due to the number of components, but the net result is the formation of a polymer between bisphenol A and epichlorohydrin.
The first step is to seal the wood to prevent air from forming bubbles in the resin. I coated the wood with 2 coats of polyurethane. The second step was to fill in the gaps between the trim. I was going to flood coat the top of the bar using the trim as a dam to keep it contained, but if the cracks (small as they might be) were not plugged the resin would leak out. I filled them up with a small amount of Envirotex.
Here are a few pics. You can kind of see where I did and didn't add the resin.
When that cured I flooded the whole top. Here's the result. The draft tower shown has not been installed yet. That comes next.
Progress. Glacial, but steady.