Thursday, January 4, 2007

Chemistry Education and Beer

Let's face it, beer brewing is a science and an art. But mostly a science as far as I am concerned. The more I learn about brewing science, the more interested I become. My goal is to convey the things I learn via this blog.

The Spring semester starts on Monday. This semester I am teaching General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Principles of Biochemistry (your typical light load). I would love to incorporate some brewing science into my Biochemistry course. From the enzyme activity on starch during a mash to the isomerization of alpha acids from hops during the boil, brewing IS Biochemistry.

However, since our campus is a "dry" campus (except during the faculty and staff Christmas party), the administration may frown on this idea. I don't blame them. Brewing beer in a class on a dry campus sends mixed messages. I have fermented alcohol using sugar and baking yeast in Organic chemistry to do a distillation lab, but the point of this is not to make something that can be consumed. One of the obvious and most important qualitative analyses that should be done with beer is tasting it. The point of brewing is to make something that tastes good and is enjoyable to consume.

I will relate a few brewing anecdotes when appropriate, but I won't be brewing in lab.

Maybe someday, I'll open a beer brewing institute in my home.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

For liberal art education side you can easily try here the better things. try this site as we are the best on letter of appeal writings side.

Unknown said...

When you are working at the digital marketing side then intelligence in important. Here http://www.onlinephdprograms.biz/ you will get the service for your online phd program.

Unknown said...

We all know that the artificial intelligence is really needed for better things to do. In here http://www.paprograms.org/ you will get our physician assistant program at any time.

Willard M. Parkman said...

Glad to know this information.

Willard M. Parkman said...

Chemistry is an top level science subject and really very hard for every students. This is very good article about chemistry education and beer brewing. Also find out here now to get thesis literature review writing services. This article information should helpful for science students.

JohnA swingle said...

Students must have interest in chemistry subject in order to get more facilities. For such services you must visit site and get knowledge about this phase.