Thursday, April 24, 2008

Kölsch in the bag

I bottled my Kölsch tonight. I really needed to do it. It has been in the secondary for almost 3 weeks now.

The kölsch yeast I used from Wyeast needs more time to settle out, so the extra time was not wasted. I also put the carboy in my garage. With a temp range of 40-55°F, the beer clarified quite nicely. In addition to letting the yeast settle, I also added some gelatin to aid in the clarification.

I boil about 2 cups of water and allow it to cool to about 150°F. After dissolving one pack of gelatin, I dump this solution into the carboy using a sanitized funnel to disperse the liquid onto the top of the beer. After a few days, the result is a ring of yeast jello around the top of the beer.

I'm not sure if this actually helps. I've done it twice and the beer has always been very clear. So, based on my non-controlled experiment it seems to work.

Now, this leaves me in a terrible situation. Just like Big Pharma, my pipeline is empty. I have plenty in bottles, but nothing at any other stage.

Hopefully, I will be able to carve out some time to brew.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, "Just like Big Pharma, my pipeline is empty" - clearly a shot across my bow. Whilst many big pharma's pipelines are "struggling" ours (company name deleted) is actually in pretty good shape - until politicians promises of "healthcare reform" ruin it.

Chemgeek said...

Nah, not an intentional shot. Just a lousy joke.

I'm going to fire my joke writer.

Travis said...

That Kolsch yeast is pretty crazy stuff. I used gelatin and put the carboy in a fridge and it was still going crazy. In the end it cleared up nicely, but it was the very last dozen beers or so that were clear. It really just takes time.

Chemgeek said...

"It really just takes time."

and that's what sucks. Waiting.

At least I don't make wine. The wait would be terrible. But what's worse is that it wouldn't be beer.