Monday, October 6, 2008

A chill is in the air

It is getting to be that time of the year. Time for stouts and porters. Time for beers that curl your toes. I plan on brewing a spiced winter ale for the..um...winter...(duh)! Here's what I did last year. I hope to make something a little more balanced with the spices.

So, brewers and people who know or pretend to know what you are talking about, what should I include in my spiced winter ale 2008? I hope to bottle it by Thanksgiving.

Last year I was amazed at how overpowering (or nearly so) 0.5 tsp of nutmeg can be in 5 gallons of beer. It wasn't bad, but it assaulted the palate a bit too much. Perhaps, too much spice....

7 comments:

MJenks said...

I've always liked the allspice flavors. And the, what is it, spice of paradise or whatever that is? I can't remember the name, and I'm too lazy to look it up.

but, I agree with how overpowering nutmeg can be in a beer.

shouldn't you have already brewed your winter ale so that it can mature and be ready for Thanksgiving?

Chemgeek said...

By Thanksgiving? Get off my back. I'm a lazy bastard, OK????

Actually, my goal was to be better than last year. Last year I bottled it right around Christmas. Just in time for the post holiday depression.

Ψ*Ψ said...

Since I know nothing about brewing, I vote for Scary Spice. :D

MJenks said...

WHERE'S THE GALL BLADDER STORIES???

Chemgeek said...

Sorry, if there's one thing worse than plagiarism, it's laziness. I haven't gotten around to changing the names in your story yet.

Jason said...

I just brewed my winter ale and I used .5 tsp fresh ground cinnamon, .25 ground nutmeg and .25 fresh ground ginger. I'm planning on adding 1.5 sticks of cinnamon to the secondary to add a little more cinnamon flavor.

I also just brewed a Vanilla Bourbon porter and soaked 2 split and diced vanilla beans to 1/2 cup of bourbon for 24 hours, then added to the secondary. Splitting them allows the inside (where most of the flavor is) to really blend into the beer. The Vanilla flavor is AWESOME. not too strong to take away from the chocolate malt in the beer, but just enough! Can't wait until it's ready!

Cheers,
Jason

Chemgeek said...

Jason,

What was your base beer for the winter ale?

I'm thinking of spicing up a porter, but I've been known to make up my own styles.